The Ballard Soccer Club resides in Central Iowa, and is organized to promote the game of soccer as a tool to build strong character within young people. We play at the recreational soccer level and do not hold tryouts for our teams. Teams are formed in one of two formats (all-girl and Co-Ed), depending on registration numbers, to compete against teams from across Central Iowa at the following age levels: Under 10 (U10), U12, U14 and up to U19. All interested players are encouraged to register. No prior playing experience is necessary, as coaches are willing to teach the game to new players.
Benefits of Participation
- Exercise/Fitness - Soccer will strengthen a players cardio vascular system improving their overall health.
- Overall conditioning is enhanced through practice and game participation.
- Natural focus on footwork, vision, agility and body control.
- Games involve a lot of quick start and stop activity.
- Perform under pressure - Many unique playing positions encompass the team concept.
- Players learn to play offensively and defensive, quickly switching between the two during a game.
- Concepts of proper spacing in relationship to other players, ball control skills, passing and receiving of the ball, and working within the team concept are taught.
- Players of all abilities are welcome.
- Life Skills - Concepts learned through competition apply to life.
- Success involves developing a team strategy with an emphasis on good sportsmanship.
- Problem solving - Time outs are not used in soccer which forces players to think quickly.
- In game competition is action-packed and can involve both success and failure.
- Registration costs vary by age group but are kept low each season.
- Registrations fees are used to pay for player insurance and other league fees.
- Equipment requirements include shin-guards, a soccer ball, cleats, long black socks, and uniforms for players above U10. Uniforms for those at the U12 level and above can be used for multiple seasons provided a player does not outgrow them. Otherwise new uniforms as of Spring 2013 cost $35.
Registration occurs for both Spring and Fall soccer seasons.
- Fall season goes from late August to the end of October.
- Spring goes from late March/early April to the first weekend in June.
- Sign-up occurs early for both Spring and Fall. Watch the website for registration details.
- Spring registration occurs in mid-January
- Fall registration occurs in mid-June
Soccer Leagues we participate in consist of the following.
- For the U10 age group we participate in the Central Iowa Soccer league.
- For U12 and above we participate in the Greater Des Moines Junior Soccer league.